If you’ve been on the fence about diving into mobile marketing for your business, the stats gathered by Cory Gaddis at Mobilize Worldwide should help you finally make that choice. In an article I was reading by Jamie Turner of the 60 Second Marketer, he shares the remarkable stats that will blow you away (and make you think!).
Here are just a few:
- 33% of US mobile customers prefer offers via text message to those via mobile Web (21%), apps (11%), and voice mail (8%). DMA UK
- By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide. Gartner
- 95% of smartphone users looked up local information, and of those, 61% called and 59% visited the business. Google IPSOS
- Of smartphone users asked why they would scan a QR code, 87% said to get a coupon, discount or deal. MGH
- 16 % of smartphone users report that they’ve made a purchase as a result of a marketing message they received on their phone. Email was by far most effective, with 55% purchasing as a result of an email received on their mobile device. Exact Target
- More than half of those who purchased as a result of a marketing message on their smartphone did so on the device itself. Exact Target
- In June 2011, the number of U.S. wireless subscriber connections surpassed the U.S. population. CTIA
- Mobile user traffic remains constant throughout the week, and holds at a consistently high level from 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. Yahoo!
- Half of smartphone owners have scanned QR codes and 18 percent of them made a purchase after scanning. Consumer Pulse
Mobile marketing is more than just developing an app for smartphone users. It’s about using the various tools available now to businesses to push their reach even further. It’s another way to connect with your customers and stay in contact. And it doesn’t have to cost you a ton of money.
Here’s a few ways your business could join the mobile revolution:
Mobile Friendly Website – people search their phones for business information, to contact you or even for products. Make sure their experience is easy by ensuring your website is mobile friendly.
Mobile Applications – So many business models could benefit from creating their own mobile app. and the costs these days are very affordable. Your own app puts you in the hands of your customers, allowing you to send notifications directly to their phone. Once they download your app. you now have the ability to send them coupons, ideas, product updates, holiday wishes, etc., providing you a very valuable tool.
QR Codes – Integrating QR codes into your offline marketing is becoming more and more effective as smartphone users increase. I’ve seen Real Estate Agents use them on their For Sale signs, businesses use them to offer coupons, museums use them for showing videos about each exhibit. Just get creative and get your QR code out in the public eye.
Text Message Marketing (SMS) – Much like creating email lists, you can now also create mobile lists that will allow you to send messages instantly to your customers. They opt in (exactly like your email subscribers) and agree to accept text messages from your company. It’s a very powerful way to stay in contact with your customers, keep your business in the forefront of their minds and create brand loyalty.
Local Marketing Social Sites like Foursquare – These sites are becoming more and more popular as people use them to check in to the places they visit and offer reviews about their experience. Sites like Foursquare offer rewards to those that check in and connect people that may be interested in the same places. They also offer amazing tools for businesses that help to encourage visits and reward returning customers. Local businesses should be taking advantage of these sites to connect with their customers and create not only relationships but also loyal customers.
Just like with social media, businesses now need to embrace the mobile market to stay in top form.
If you have questions or would like to consider adding theses marketing tools to your portfolio, contact us to see which options would best suit your business and how we can help you make this new transition easy and affordable.