The answer is a resounding “YES”!
All too often I visit sites where the owners are solely focused on promotion leaving the expectation that visitors are supposed to entertain themselves. Much like a real world party, you are the host and must ensure your guests are enjoying themselves.
A pet peeve of mine is to visit a Facebook page where they don’t allow comments from fans.
How can this be social?
I’ll use Facebook as an example here (though the same applies across all of your social networks).
You create a page to promote your business…great. Then each day you post something to add content. And that’s it??!!!
You need to talk to people, reply to comments, ask questions, like other peoples comments and posts….in other words you need to interact.
Here are 5 things you can do to increase fans, and be more social.
- Thank your fans for following you on a regular basis. You could do it at milestones for instance at intervals of 50. Give a shout out to the one who helped you reach that specific milestone.
- Reply to comments and acknowledge those that are participating. When someone leaves you a comment or likes a post, thank them, like it…respond.
- Allow people to comment on your page! The nice thing about the new Timeline is that it now puts comments in a nice neat box on the right side of your page. With the old layout, comments would take over the page (I get why you would have hesitated), but this isn’t the case anymore. Open up and let others talk…then be sure to respond.
- Return the favor and like other pages in return. Honestly, this is a tough one for me only because I know we should use our personal accounts rather than our business. I like to keep my personal profile completely private for friends, family and my kids. BUT, that being said, I’ve conceded to at least liking pages from my personal account and have created a list specifically for the fanpages I follow. I follow tons of other pages and love to interact with other business owners.
- Get active with your following! Just as you check your newsfeed for your personal profile, so should you also check your fans feed. Make a habit of checking it daily and commenting and/or liking other peoples posts. Not only will this give you greater exposure, but it will show your fans that you actually care about their page.
I hope these 5 points help you increase the action on your pages. I know from my experience it has. Personally, I find it makes it more enjoyable and not just the systematic business “task” it could be.
What’s your opinion? Do you have something to add? Share it below in the comments.