Well the much anticipated “Timeline” for Facebook Pages was apparently rolled out overnight February 29th. Initially it was planned for after their announcements later in the day, but when I logged in this morning, I was greeted with the opportunity to preview the new look:
Needless to say, I’m pretty pumped and ready to dig in!!
You do have the option of waiting to publish (which is often recommended) giving time for the dust to settle and bugs to be fixed. Facebook does not intend to make this absolute until the end of March (30th) giving you time to plan, play and learn before going public.
In the meantime, here’s a few things I’ve discovered so far:
- Default landing tabs are going away and the Timeline is default
- Tab width is changing to 810 px wide (currently 520px).
- Profile pictures should be 180×180 and easily scale down to 32×32 pixels
- You can feature a story at the top of your timeline for up to 7 days
- You can now message fan pages
I also found this Facebook Product Guide from TechCrunch that offers up some pretty valuable information.
I’ll be spending the day at the FMC conference to learn more, and of course I will be updating to our Facebook Page when I learn something worth sharing. So be sure to “Like” our page at www.facebook.com/Simplysocialmediasolutions, stay current on the latest changes and join the conversation.