With the new Facebook Timeline deadline creeping up quickly, you want to make sure you’re ready!
Here are 5 steps you need to take in order to make the switch. This will get you started, then you can go back and fine tune it further after you’ve made the switch.
1) Make the switch – click on the preview so you can start setting up your page as listed below. It will not be public until you physically “publish” it so you have the freedom to set it up exactly as you wish before anyone else can see it. The public will continue to see your old page.
2) Add your cover and profile images – (at the very least, your profile image) You now have the ability to make your business stand out and create a great 1st impression. Use it wisely by ensuring your cover image provides a clear understanding of what your company is about.
Below are a couple of examples that we created recently:
Both explain what they offer while staying within the Facebook rules.
There are rules that Facebook has set in place found in the “Page Guidelines” section, so be sure to check these out before doing any work on your image.
We can help you if you need a custom profile and image created, just contact us for details.
3) Add/Change your About section – I’ve been to many pages where I had to “work” to figure out what the company does and what the page will offer. Use your about section, which will be displayed right below your profile image, to clearly state who you are, what you do and why they should “Like” your page.
4) Clean up – Now it’s time to clean up your page and remove any posts you’re not crazy about, add company/business milestones, add history or even posts from your blog that you wrote years ago. Timeline allows you to back date posts, pin posts to the top (for 7 days) and feature posts. It’s a great way to break up the page while showcasing some of your best work and biggest accomplishments.
Don’t worry if you can’t get all of this done before you publish, you can continue to add new content after. Due to the time restraints, clean up anything you want removed and maybe start jotting down ideas.
5) Organize your tabs – Your Facebook apps are now featured right below your cover image (rather than on the left side of the page) and you have the ability to arrange them as you wish. Take a few minutes to decide which 2 you’d like showing beside the photos and likes. You are no longer able to change your default landing page, but you could have that one tab visible with an action compelling image representing it.
Making the switch doesn’t have to be overwhelming and these 5 steps will not only get you started quickly but will also give you a feel for how the new Timeline works. Once you are public, fine tune it to perfection!
We are constantly working on ours, playing with the new features and adding new/old content. We have tons of ideas that we want to implement in the very near future.
Click here for a more in-depth Facebook Timeline Guide.
Want help with your Timeline? Need it cleaned and polished? Contact Us and ask about our Special Deadline Deal!